To me, it means:
- Going to bars to see bands play, hanging out with friends that are drinking, and when one of them makes a bar run for more beer, he brings me back a bottled water
- Going to my company’s yearly social activity, “a day at the races,” and replying with a “yes” when a co-worker asks if it’d still be against my beliefs if he bet my money for me
- Not developing a potty mouth when so many of my co-workers swear (and though I’ve never complained to any of them, they’ve all realized it bothers me and watch their langauge around me)
- Living in Orange County, working in L.A., and not caring (actually I’m thrilled) that I drive a Toyota, rather than the standard, which is a BMW (can’t believe how many Beamers there are around here)
- Loving people unconditionally
I feel like I should mention that most of those values weren’t instilled in me by the church, but rather my non-member parents.
So how do you live in the world without being a part of it?